Thursday, June 11, 2015

The best thing I ever did was JUST SHOW UP!




Being a swim mom or dad is a wild ride.  Swimming is a sport like none other.  And while it appears on the surface to be an individual sport, it very much is a team sport; a team sport that is comprised of swimmers, coaches and PARENTS.   
As a family, we began our journey into swimming 12 years ago.  At the time, I had no idea what I was getting into!  I was the mom of 4 young children, none of which had ever swum any stroke but the doggy paddle, let alone on a team. I had actually never even been to a swim meet!  

My kids wanted to be a part of the swim team, what was a mom to do?  I lived in a fabulous, active community that had an amazingly fun, vibrant swim team,  but I was hesitant to jump in.
 So I decided to “just show up!”   I showed up with a desire to have fun with my kids. I showed up with a willing heart and able body.  I showed up with an open mind and a longing to connect  with my new neighbors and community. It was the best decision of my life! 

Personally I have gained so much by being a part of the Sea Dragon swim team for 12 years.  My best friends are swim moms and dads from this neighborhood.  Friends that have helped us raise our children.  Friends that I would have never met had I not “just showed up.”

A national blogger that I follow recently wrote  about volunteerism and one’s hesitation in doing so.  His article resonated with me as I lead the Sea Dragon Swim team for another season.  It takes many volunteers to run a swim team.  Sometimes parents are hesitant to volunteer because they feel they are either, inexperienced, under-qualified, or that they lack time.  The reality is that we are all busy, and we are all inexperienced and we are all under-qualified at times, but that is how we learn! Joshua Becker wrote in his article “Just Show Up” that we can accomplish many things and contribute to our organizations if we:
“Just become available. The experience will come. The talent will grow. And the opportunities will increase.” 

Please consider how you can engage this season, you won’t regret it!

 -Just Show Up, Written by Joshua Becker http://www.becomingminimalist.com/show/

No comments:

Post a Comment